Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Heather Newbold, who can find?


Proverbs chapter 31 is well known for its description of a worthy woman.  There are many books, bible studies, ministries, and aids that use Proverbs 31 as a way to give biblical instruction to women.  What better way to instruct a Christian woman than with this biblical example?  You know what else Proverbs 31 is?  A description of my wonderful Heather.
21 verses from God on the model of an excellent woman, and 21 examples from me on how Heather is my excellent, worthy wife.


Description of a Worthy Woman

10 An excellent wife, who can find?
For her worth is far above jewels.
I love her so much.  On our second date, I said "I love you and want to marry you."
She replied: "you're cute"
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
And he will have no lack of gain.
Heather is the best thing about me.  This isn't hard to believe, if you have ever met both of us.  It's not uncommon for me to hear "How does Heather put up with you?"  I know how much better my life is because of her.
12 She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life.
Heather really does serve our family.  She does what is best for our family, and graciously allows me to lead.
13 She looks for wool and flax
And works with her hands in delight.
True story.  she makes me take flax seed pills, (since I am allergic to fish and need Omega 3…)and she was the one who told me how great wool socks are.  She literally looks for wool and flax.
14 She is like merchant ships;
She brings her food from afar.
She drives from Frazier Park to THREE different grocery stores in Santa Clarita to bring us food.
15 She rises also while it is still night
And gives food to her household
When I worked nights at Chili's, sometimes she would wake up at 1:30am to make me dinner when I got home.  Quesadillas.  Boom.
And portions to her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
From her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She planted a garden, and bought many of the seeds and tools necessary out of her own savings account.
17 She girds herself with strength
And makes her arms strong.
Sometimes I have to ask her to help me open a jar.  (But I loosened it!!!)
18 She senses that her gain is good;
Her lamp does not go out at night.
She keeps a hall light on for the kids, listens to the baby monitor, and is always there for them in the middle of the night.  Also, she is a light sleeper.  
19 She stretches out her hands to the distaff,
And her hands grasp the spindle.
She is sitting in the PICU right now knitting Josiah a cap and booties.  (This verse is about sewing and spindling.  I had to look up commentary on it…)
20 She extends her hand to the poor,
And she stretches out her hands to the needy.
She always contributes to our church's food bank, toy drive, and other charities.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household,
For all her household are clothed with scarlet.
She had to get out of the car, in the dark, stuck on our road, in a blizzard, with 2 feet of snow on the ground, with Liam and Amalia in the car, to put chains on, so she could dig herself out.  She was 8.5 months pregnant.  She is NOT AFRAID of the snow.
22 She makes coverings for herself
She has made her own clothes.  She even bought "how to sew" DVD's by some Amish people.  Not sure how Amish people have DVD's of anything, but I saw them with my own eyes.
Her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates,
When he sits among the elders of the land.
I am very super famous.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
She makes purses and baby blankets and sells them.
And supplies belts to the tradesmen.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
And she smiles at the future.
Heather trusts in God.  She does not worry about the future.  And she talks me off the ledge when I do.
26 She opens her mouth in wisdom,
And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She home schools our children.  She is always giving them gentle instruction, and urging them to use kind words.  (and we are convinced that one day they will actually start listening.)
27 She looks well to the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.
Heather is such a hard worker.  She rarely takes time for herself, and its often that she will stay up late (anything past 9 is late to me…) to clean, do chores, or prepare home-school for the following day.
28 Her children rise up and bless her;
Liam always says "Mom, your beautiful!"
Her husband also, and he praises her, saying:
29 “Many daughters have done nobly,
But you excel them all.”
I don't do this nearly enough.  She is a worthy wife, and excellent in many ways.  She should have a husband excited to praise her worth!  Oh Lord, help me not to be such an idiot!
30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,
But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Heather loves Jesus.  She knows she is a sinner saved by God's grace, and she truly fears The Lord.
31 Give her the product of her hands,
And let her works praise her in the gates.
The works of her hands do indeed sing her praises.  Our wonderful home, our beautiful children, and the fruits of her labor are all evidence of her hard work and faithfulness.  Thank you Lord for blessing me with such a wonderful, worthy, Proverbs 31 wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment