Saturday, June 11, 2011

CLOCKS (not the Coldplay Song) Written 4-12-09


I have a weird frame of mind when it comes to clocks.  I use my cell phone, mostly, to see what time it is.  Fine.  I can’t change the time on that, its set to the stars, or whatever.  But my alarm clock, its always set 10 minutes early.  I always calculate in my head every time I look at the clock. 

8:49pm.  That means its only 8:39pm.  That means I have an hour and 21 minutes before I should get to bed.  When it says 9:59pm, I’ll go brush my teeth*(1), whatever.  It’ll only be 9:49pm anyway.

  Also, the clock in my car has always been set five minutes fast.  I know it takes me 30 minutes to get to work from the freeway on-ramp.  If I hit the onramp and my car clock says 7:05am, I know I’m good. 
Strangely, I always trust that my alarm clock is running 10 minutes fast, but I FREQUENTLY double check my clock car against my cell phone.  Probably, 4-5 times a day.

 It says 7:34.  According to that clock, I’m 4 minutes late for work.  BUT, my cell phone says 7:29am.  I’m just on time! 

I always have a personal feeling of satisfaction knowing I’ve successfully*(2) juggled my conflicting clocks. 

Also, I can’t sleep without a visible clock.  If I’m staying somewhere other than home, I go nuts waking up in the middle of the night not knowing what time it is.  Did I just go to bed, like an hour ago?  (1am).  Is it almost time to wake up? (6am)  Do I have several hours of sleep to look forward to? (4am)  When there is a clock, and I can see what time it is, I always count out how many hours I have left to sleep. 

3am.  4,5,6:20.  3 hours and 20 minutes left to sleep. 

Also, if we’re (wife, kids) headed out somewhere, my stress level is highest if we are early.  I LOVE being early to things, but the idea that we may NOT be early adds to my anxiety. 

  If we leave in ten minutes, we’ll be there 30 minutes early.  Can we be ready in ten minutes?

BUT, if we’re already late to something, I’m totally cool.

 We’re already late, just relax, bro!  Lets stop at the market.  Clean the kitchen before we leave.  Check email that one last time. 

My iMac is telling me it’s 9:06pm right now.  That means in my car, it’s already 9:11pm, and in my bedroom, its 9:16pm.  If I stay in the computer room*(3) for a while longer, I guess its like I get ten free minutes!

*1:  I never brush my teeth before bed. 
*2:  It took me 3 tries to spell that right. 
*3:  Its really more of a computer nook.  

1 comment:

  1. 1. Brush your teeth before bed (ew!).
    2. I kinda lost you halfway through...
    3. Interesting blog!... But you're still a noob.

    ReplyDelete